1. Make sure your store manager understands how to manage Chinese sales associates, and ensure your Chinese sales associates are able to work well in a team environment.
2. The sales process for selling to a Chinese overseas consumer is different than a Western consumer. Allow your Chinese sales associate flexibility to work with Chinese consumers with different buying habits and motivations.
3. Chinese sales associates working on a retail level will most likely see the position as a stepping stone to working on the corporate level within the luxury industry. Make sure you have a clear career road map and establish clear expectations for your Mandarin speaking sales associates.
4. Provide your Mandarin Speaking Sales Associates the ability to go beyond the store and utilize business relationships/creativity to bring increased traffic of high net worth customers.
5. Make sure your Chinese Sales Associate actually speaks Mandarin Chinese.
- James Galvin, Dragon Recruiting
This is an excerpt from a recent research report by China Luxury Advisors called Serving China’s Global Luxury Consumer.